Sabi Sands Luxury Game Lodge | Mala Mala Game Reserve
- Sabi Sands
- Mala Mala camp
About Mala Mala Camp
MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry’s blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator.
MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha, MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park and lies sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve.
MalaMala Game Reserve offers a range of accommodation across three camps to appeal to every type of traveller.
Families are welcome at MalaMala Main Camp, where “Junior Rangers” are treated to an educational yet entertaining bush experience.
Mala Mala has a wonderful activities for young children such as: how to track various animals from their spoor, basic bushveld survival skills, first aid in the bushveld and a whole lot more.
A babysitter is available in the evenings.
Sable Camp is the exclusive version of the Main Camp and the perfect choice for the traveller. who seeks a smaller, more tranquil environment.
Rattray’s on MalaMala is the crème de la crème of the luxury safari industry. The newest addition to the MalaMala portfolio, this elegant reflection of a colonial era embodied in the timeless “Out of Africa” epic promises the ultimate exclusive safari in style, privacy and sublime comfort.
Luxury Suites | Luxury Rooms | Sable Suites
All rooms come standard with the following:
- Free wi fi
- 24-hour temperature control
- Direct dial telephones
- A mini-bar
- A mini-safe
- Bathroom amenities, insect repellent
- Tea and coffee making facilities
A large wooden safari deck, in the shade of a Jackal berry Tree is the ideal vantage point from which to observe the steady flow of animal life at the Sand River’s edge.
The pool has a large pool with magnificent views across the river as well as a fitness gym, massage services and a fully stocked wine-cellar.
A well-appointed safari boutique offers quality clothing, jeweller and artefacts.
Mala Mala Camp facilities
- A warm and inviting lounge area – an ideal place to relax or socialise
- An elegant, African themed air-conditioned dining room
- The iconic “Buffalo Bar” featuring historic photographs of the early days of MalaMala
- An expansive wooden safari deck, in the shade of a Jackalberry tree, overlooking the Sand River.
- An air-conditioned library with satellite television and DVD player
- A traditional reed “boma” for evening meals around the fire
More on Facilities
- A large infinity pool with magnificent views across the river
- A well-appointed safari boutique with quality clothing, jewellery and artefacts
- A small fitness facility with stationary bicycle, treadmill, multi-gym machine, rowing machine etc.
- A massage service
- Limited Mobile phone coverage
- Complimentary wireless internet at all the camps
Fauna and Flora
Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo and Rhinoceros – the most sought after and dangerous of the world’s big game. In previous centuries it was these five species which gripped the imagination of hunters and sportsmen, drawing them to Africa to experience the blood pounding thrill of hunting and shooting “The Big Five”.
It is in reserves like Mala Mala where this hunting and shooting still takes place, only the hunting is done by experienced rangers and Shangaan trackers, and the shooting is done with cameras. However. this does not mean that the thrill and exhilaration of encountering these animals in an open Land Rover is any less gripping.
MalaMala Main Camp is the ideal family destination. Welcoming children of all ages, youngsters are able to participate in a holistic programme tailored to suit their needs.
With this program we intend to entertain children, but at the same time to educate them about the bush and the wildlife we share our lives with. Children will always be under the supervision of a responsible ranger while on the program, whether within the confines of the camp, or out in the bush.
MalaMala offers a unique destination from which to exchange vows – one that will never be forgotten. For the couple who seeks an intimate destination, without “frills” but with a heart of warm African hospitality, beautiful sunsets, panoramic views and beautiful accommodation – MalaMala is the place for romance.
Our team of staff is on hand to assist with planning the special day.
Following the exhausting wedding preparations and the excitement of the “Big Day”, where better to escape to than a place buried in the wild of Africa. No cell phones, no traffic, no clutter – just pure peace, silence, and unspoiled rugged bushveld.
MalaMala offers equal measures of privacy, romance, good company, romantic sunsets, action-packed game drives and excellent sumptuous cuisine.
The following will assist you in the planning of an incentive. Whilst the size and nature of the camps within the MalaMala Game Reserve allow for flexibility, please bear in mind that MalaMala is a wildlife sanctuary and consideration for conservation should be kept in mind.
About The suites At MalaMala Camp
Max Guests: 2 adults + 1 child u12
8 luxury suites for a maximum of 16 guests (triple sharing permitted in a maximum of 2 suites), Suites – 128m2, Pool deck – 51m2, Pool surface – 6m2, Verandah – 84m2, Age restriction: no children under the age of 16, Capacity on game drives: four guests but can be increased to six guests per safari vehicle based on guests travelling together and triple share
Max Guests: 2 adults + 1 child u12
Private verandah with grand river views, Indigenous private garden – a haven for birds “His” and “hers” bathrooms featuring a ball and claw foot bath and double shower, Outdoor shower for a nature experience with a difference, Private plunge pool built into the verandah, Outdoor and indoor dining area for intimate dining, 24-hour temperature control – air-conditioning, heating and overhead fans, Direct-dial telephones, A minibar, Tea- and coffee-making facilities, A mini-safe, Optional satellite television and DVD player
Max Guests: 2 adults + 2 children or 3rd adult
Private deck overlooking the bushveld with river or waterhole views, En-suite bathroom with bath, shower and private WC, An outdoor shower , 24-hour temperature control – air-conditioning, heating and overhead fans, A mini-bar, Tea and coffee making facilities, A mini-safe, Bathroom amenities, insect repellent and hairdryers, Lion’s Den Suite: two en-suite bedrooms separated by a large sitting room, Family rooms able to accommodate a third adult or two children are available on request, Age restriction: no children under the age of 12 unless the camp is reserved exclusively
Please Contact Us for the best available rates for International Clients or for other Mala Mala roomtype specials if you do not see what you want.
Rates for 1 November 2020 – 30 April 2021
Luxury Room (MalaMala Main Camp)
From: R 5 900 per adult sharing per night
From: R 8 850 single occupancy per night
- Special Offer for SA Residents only
- Special rate does not include drinks.
- Proof of SA ID or permanent residency is required prior to confirmation of the reservation
- 2 night stay may be required over weekends.
Inclusions and Exclusions.
- Luxury Air-conditioned, en-suite accommodation
- All meals and snacks
- Drinks (excluding premium brands)
- Game drives in open 4-wheel drive safari vehicles
- Bush walks
- Mala Mala Airstrip transfers if required.
- Lunch. An a la carte menu is available for lunch, at an additional expense
- A Gate entrance fee of R 310 per vehicle and R 140 per person is applicable, to be paid direct. Valid until further notice and subject to change.
- Community Tourism Levy of R 165 per person per night applies and is to be paid directly at the lodge. Valid until further notice and subject to change.
- Tours and Transfers not mentioned
- Items of a personal nature
Children’s Policy and Rates: Age restrictions do exist and are applied in the interests of personal safety as well as the comfort of other guests.
- MalaMala Main Camp welcomes children of all ages
- Children under 12 years, sharing accommodation with full paying adults, pay the quoted child tariff.
- Children aged four and under are not permitted to dine in the boma in the evenings. Special dining arrangements can be made and baby-sitting services are provided on request, at a nominal charge.
- Family rooms may be used as a triple or a quad room to accommodate children – the sitting room / area is converted to a bedroom utilising single beds.
- Every room at MalaMala Main Camp has two bathrooms.
MalaMala Main Camp
Children on game drives
Children aged four and under are not permitted to join the game drives, unless their parents / party have reserved a private game drive vehicle at the additional cost.
On arrival, the ranger looking after the family will assess the age, enthusiasm and independence of the children and in collaboration with the parents and guardians, various activities will be offered.
A MalaMala backpack including an interactive check-list, bird and mammal colouring books, lip-ice and water are given to each child between the ages of 4 and 12.
The ranger allocated to the family will, throughout their stay, offer some of the following activities:
- The tracking of various animals from their spoor markings.
- Teach basic survival skills (where to find water, what plants are good to eat, medicinal uses of plants, the toothbrush and toilet paper trees).
- Warning signs of dangerous animals and first aid for emergency situations in the bush.
- A bush breakfast enables children to learn how to make fire and to participate in the meal preparation.
- Children are able to communicate on the radio (out of game drive times)
- Special meals and “ration packs” are prepared for children.
- Babysitters are available in the evenings if required.
- In camp there are children’s movies, wildlife movies (filmed on MalaMala) and board games.
The Sable Camp does not accommodate children under the age of 12, unless the entire camp is reserved exclusively.
Rattray’s on MalaMala does not accommodate children under the age of 16.
Terms and Conditions
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Special rates quoted may only be applicable to South African Residents. Discounted special rates for International Residents are available on request. The Lodge will require proof of residency on check in.