Lodges | South Africa | Kruger Park Area
About Mala Mala
Are you looking for an exclusive and exceptionalsafari? Imagine this: after a long, dusty day of game watching you come home to a South African lodge where the sepia photographs behind the safari bar spell out the history of the area. You order a drink and look out over the massive Jackalberry Tree that shades the outdoor boma and the arid floodplain beyond the camp. Presently you are called to dinner by a staff member who has been working for the family for over 30 years and regales you with mystical tales that involve the massive granite outcrops of Sithlawayise and Campbell Koppies.
Mala Mala Main Camp
The Main Camp has been designed with the express purpose of creating a space where visitors might enjoy unhindered views of the surrounding bushveld and the wildlife it shelters. Accommodation at this Mpumulanga lodge comprises of ochre-coloured huts that sit alongside a winding pathway along the perimeter of the camp. Here you can expect to wake up to rolling green hills, gentle birdsong and sometimes even and errant antelope or elephant that is lured by the verdant greenery. Unfenced and unfettered, a stay at Mala Mala Main Camp is for those who wish to experience the wild at its best. Capacity on Game Drives is no more than six guests are allowed in a safari vehicle at any given time.
• A bar with a sense of history, an inviting lounge and a sumptuous dining room that invites interaction between guests.
• An air-conditioned entertainment unit, the Monkey Club, that allows visitors access to satellite television, the internet, as well as a DVD player and library.
• The Jackalberry Tree safari deck from where visitors may view the surrounding area.
• A filter water infinity pool that boasts incredible river views.
• A safari boutique where visitors may peruse clothing, jewellery and curios.
• A basic fitness facility for those who wish to keep in shape, comprising of a stationary bicycle, treadmill, multigym machine, rowing machine, sit-up benches, pull-up bar, free weights, mats and a steam room.
• Massage services are available on request.
• A wine cellar bursting at the seams with a collection of South Africa’s premium wines.
Rattrays on Mala Mala
An Mpumulanga lodge bar none, stepping into Rattray’s on Mala Mala is like being in a scene out of the box office hit ‘Out of Africa’. There was a time when explorers from other countries set up house in the midst of the African wilderness, bringing with them elegance and refinement. This South African lodge harks back to that time of opulence in the face of hardship. Here you will meet up with the Rattray family who has spent the last 40 years running this regal colonial safari establishment. Think crystal and leather, crisp linens and family heirlooms that have been collected over generations. Each khaya (a Zulu word that translates to ‘home’) is a self-contained unit that has been decorated with beautiful furniture and includes sumptuous ‘his’ and ‘hers’ bathrooms, as well as outdoor showers and a private heated pool.
• An idyllic library where you can peruse rare Africana books and splendid artworks.
• An air-conditioned dining-room decorated in an African style.
• An in-house bar where visitors can interact and view unique photographs of the area and its pioneers.
• A spacious safari deck where meals may be enjoyed.
• A beautiful infinity pool that looks out over the river.
• An intimate boutique where visitors can purchase clothing, jewellery and curios.
• A fitness facility where exercise junkies can get their daily fix.
• A massage service that is available with prior notice.
• A lovely wine cellar simply bursting at the seams with a fine selection of South Africa’s most magnificent wines.
Sable Camp is a great option for those individuals who want to enjoy the unique spirit of MalaMala, but wish to do so on a more intimate level. Perfect for couples, honeymooners and families who like to keep to themselves while on holiday, this intimate safari venue accommodates only 14 guests at any given time, which means you will have the opportunity to experience the best the bush has to offer, at your own pace. The camp is located on the southern side of MalaMala and boasts an elevated location that overlooks both the majestic Sand River and surrounding bushveld.
Each individual suite has been decorated with care and boasts a spacious interior beneath a thatch roof. Here you can get comfortable and enjoy a cocktail as you watch the sun set over the grasslands. If you plan to travel in a bigger group the camp can be reserved exclusively for between ten and 18 guests, but if you prefer this type of safari arrangement we recommend that you make your booking well in advance in order to avoid disappointment.
• An air-conditioned library where visitors have access to a television, a DVD player and wireless internet.
• An air-conditioned bar and dining area that have been decorated in the safari style.
• A superbly appointed wooden safari deck from where visitors may observe animals as they come to graze along the edge of the Sand River.
• A filtered swimming pool located in the flood plain just beneath the camp.
Optional massage services.
• A cellar bursting at the seams with some of SA’s finest vintages.
• A fitness facility and curio shop, located at the Main Camp close by.