Dulini Leadwood Lodge | Sabi Sand, South Africa
Dulini describes its three properties as providing the classic safari experience for the sophisticated traveller – and we agree one hundred per cent! With its emphasis on intimacy, Leadwood is particularly well suited to couples and honeymooners. However, as it can be booked for exclusive use, with the option of a fourth suite, it is fabulous for families and groups as well.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property is named for the towering leadwood trees that surround the communal lodge and individual suites. The Sand and Mabrak rivers converge below and the river views from the lodge are pretty special! This really is the ultimate in luxury safari, a fabulous option within Sabi Sands.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT DULINI LEADWOOD LODGE:
The communal building is made from wood, stone, and thatch, blending seamlessly into the landscape. There is a lounge, dining boma, wine cellar, viewing deck, and swimming pool. The lounge is exceptionally elegant, featuring comfortable sofas and armchairs, a couple of coffee tables, a welcoming fireplace, and, in its modest upper storey, a few bookshelves. The palette is neutral with a few splashes of colour, a subtle effect that encourages guests to focus on the outside world – the majestic leadwood trees, the verdant plant life, and the sheer beauty of the rivers. The lodge’s traditional boma provides authentic dining experiences, with its centrepiece of a blazing fire. This is the perfect place to get to know your fellow guests and swap those safari stories! Alternatively, you can choose to eat on Leadwood’s viewing deck, which is cantilevered into the shade of a jackalberry tree. From here it is common to spot all manner of animals passing through camp or quenching their thirst. Finally, the lodge boasts a small swimming pool, ideal for cooling off in the heat of the day!
Dulini Leadwood Lodge has four guest suites, similar in style to the communal building. These are spaced at a little distance from the main lodge and also well apart from each other, to ensure there is ample privacy. The décor is similar to that of the communal areas too. Each suite contains a lovely large double bed with lots of cushions and pillows, seating at the foot of the bed, bedside tables, wall lighting, a separate seating area, and a well-appointed bathroom with flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower, and big bathtub. Outside, there is a viewing deck with comfy sunloungers and your very own private plunge pool! It feels great simply to relax here and watch the wildlife go by, while listening to the soothing sounds of the rivers.
ACTIVITIES AT DULINI LEADWOOD LODGE:
- The lodge is well placed to offer some seriously good game drives! These take place in the early morning and in late afternoon.
- Sabi Sands is home to all Big Five species – lion, rhino, leopard, Cape buffalo, and African elephant.
- The area is renowned for its leopard sightings!
- Other predators that roam the region include cheetah and Cape wild dog, while among the herbivore count are giraffe, wildebeest, and zebra.
- Hippos wallow in the rivers and oodles of birds frequent the plains and woodlands.
- If you are a keen birder, you will relish opportunities to see such feathery friends as redbilled oxpecker, brownhooded kingfisher, paradise flycatcher, and an impressive assortment of raptors. Leadwood offers morning bush walks too, a chance to check out all the small things on safari.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.